Sunday, April 29, 2012

A cake order that sent me back in time

Posted by kel @ sweet treats at 5:18 PM
It has been a couple of years since I've been asked to make cupcakes; unfortunately over time they seem to have become second fiddle to the macaron trend.

Cupcakes have a special place in my heart as they are where my caking adventures began about six years ago. One afternoon I had a (then-unusual) craving to bake something. Anything. The first thing that popped into my head was cupcakes. I took them to work and they were devoured in about five minutes flat. So I made some more. And more again. And then someone offered me money to make them some. Me? A pro-cupcake maker? I had never entertained the idea. And there it began; my baking obsession.

This anecdote brings me to present day, when my work colleague Stacey asked me to provide cakey goodness for her 21st birthday party. She requested a chocolate mud cake and 21 cupcakes. The design for this mud cake is not my regular style nowadays; ganache with piped borders is something I started out doing all those years ago. Most of the cakes I do are fondant-covered, so it was a breath of fresh air to do something I hadn't done in years. Stacey asked for white and milk chocolate shavings on top, along with a plaque saying 'happy birthday'.



For the cupcakes, Stacey requested chocolate and vanilla marble with vanilla buttercream. I piped the pink, yellow & blue buttercream with a 1M tip and decorated them with varying sized cachous and fondant cutouts.

Happy birthday Stace!

0 comments on "A cake order that sent me back in time"

 

:: sweet treats :: Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez